Considered one of the best enamelists in the country, Sarah Perkins continues to amaze viewers with her superb forms, brilliant colors and stylistic surprises which include stitched seams, gemstones and unusual textures. With great technical skills, Perkins raises the silver or copper forms which then serve as a canvas (inside and out) for the extraordinary painterly surfaces she creates.
Perkins’ vessels and containers are intimate treasures that are decorative, expressive works which are both beautiful and emotive. Nature and culture often inform her designs.
For instance, her vessel ‘Grasslands’ was inspired by the landscape while on camping trips in Texas and New Mexico. And extensive travels in India inspired Perkins series of open vessels reminiscent of beggar bowls.
Recently named the 2019 Master Metalsmith, Perkins was honored with an exhibition of her work at the Metal Museum in Memphis Tennessee, October 2019 thru March 2020.
Professor Emerita at Missouri State University, Perkins shared her knowledge with students from 1994 to 2017.
Her work can be found in many private and public collections including:
• Decorative Arts Collection, Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn, NY
• Museum of Fine Arts, Boston,MA (Collaborative piece with Charles Radtke)
• The Enamel Arts Foundation, Long Beach, CA
• Springfield Art Museum, Springfield, MO
• Long Beach Art Museum, Long Beach, CA.
• National Ornamental Metals Museum, Memphis, TN.
• Kamm Teapot Collection, Sparta, N.C.
• Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee, WI (Collaboration “One of One” with Charles Radtke)
“My work reflects my emotional response to my environment, often referring to landscape, body part or natural object. As a maker of hollowware, I use properties of the metal: the plasticity, the permanence and the dimensionality. As an enameler, I use properties of the glass: the preciousness, the surface qualities and the color. In my work these properties function together to make a whole experience that’s tactile and intimate.” – Sarah Perkins
Book a video appointment via FaceTime for a personal shopping experience.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org